I absolutely love painting abstract designs on wooden hearts with different art materials. These easy abstract painting ideas are great for all artistic abilities and ages. See below for the best supplies to use and directions for making your own painted abstract hearts. This post contains affiliate links, and I may be compensated if you make a purchase through my link. See full disclosure here.
Best Supplies for Easy Abstract Painting Ideas
- Wooden Heart – I used this wooden heart. This is another great wooden heart option.
- Acrylic Paint – Below are a few favorite paint brands I like to use. The key is to use thicker acrylic paint.
- Glossy Spray Sealant (optional)
Paint Scraper Abstract Heart Painting
- For this heart I started with acrylic paint directly on the heart. I used this wooden heart. This is another great wooden heart option.
- I used a paint scraper that I picked up at the dollar store. (You could also use an old credit card).
- After each swipe across I wiped the paint off the paint scraper and repeated the step for the next set of colors.
- After most of the heart was covered I went back and filled in the areas that were uncovered by just moving the wet paint around with the scraper.
Rainbow Painted Heart
- I started with the acrylic paint across the entire top of this painted heart. I used this wooden heart. This is another great wooden heart option.
- Using these paint brushes I swiped down each section with a different paint brush for each section.
- Instead of washing off the brushes I left the paint on them to dry and them hung them up in my craft room as decor.
Palette Knife Abstract Painting
This abstract painted hear was made using a palette knife. The palette knife helps create a textured mix of colors. I used this wooden heart. This is another great wooden heart option. See the full step-by-step tutorial for this palette knife heart here.
Color Wheel Abstract Painting
You don’t have to overthink abstract art. Put some colors on your canvas or a wooden heart like this project and blend them together to create a beautiful color wheel effect. Get tips and the exact steps to recreate this project here.
See how many ways you can create easy abstract art. Make sure you are following along with me on Instagram, Facebook and TikTok to see more colorful and crafty projects. And be sure to come share your finished craft. I love sharing pictures of my tutorials that have been made.