I’m a big fan of art that isn’t difficult to create. This DIY abstract art project couldn’t be easier. It’s a great abstract art project for kids or adults and you only need a few art supplies. See below for my favorite abstract art painting supplies and step by step directions on how you can create your own painted heart.
Supplies for DIY Abstract Art Project (affiliate links provided for convenience)
- Wooden Heart – I used this wooden heart. This is another great wooden heart option.
- Acrylic Paint – Below are a few favorite paint brands I like to use. The key is to use thicker acrylic paint.
- Palette Knife
- Glossy Spray Sealant (optional)
- Start by adding a variety of paint blobs to the wooden heart. I tried to keep the colors in somewhat of a rainbow order but without too much thought. I also made sure to add bits of white in a few different areas across the heart. If you have neon colors, it’s great to work those in too.
- Take your palette knife and move it across the entire heart.
- Here is the important part.,,don’t wipe the paint off the palette knife. Instead use that paint as you swipe across the heart again. After one or two swipes then you can wipe off the paint and start again. The key is to not let your colors get muddy.
- If there is too much paint on the heart you can even use the palette knife to scrape off the paint.
- Continue swiping and cleaning off your knife until you’ve covered the entire heart. You can even do small mini swipes to add more texture in places.
- The key is not to over swipe the paint. You want just a slight blending of colors. Once it’s to your liking, set your heart aside and let it dry completely.
- If you want to add a glossy finish to your final piece, you can use this glossy spray sealant.
See how easy it is to create your own beautiful abstract art using a palette knife. I would love to see your finished DIY abstract art project. Come share a picture with me on Instagram or Facebook! I love showing examples of my tutorials being made!