This Christmas painted rock was inspired after seeing this beautiful Volkswagen cookie made by Liz Adams of Arty McGoo. Painted rocks are a great way option for handmade Christmas gifts and this Christmas rock painting idea is sure to be loved by the recipient. See below for the best rock painting supplies to use and the step-by-step rock painting tutorial.
Supplies for VW Christmas Painted Rock (affiliate links provided for convenience)
- I like this sealant because it gives a very glossy finish.
Directions for VW Christmas Painted Rock
- With a pencil, draw the outline of the van. Add the bumper, tires, windows, and a curved V symbol in the front.
- Next add two larger circles for headlights and two smaller circles for blinkers.
- Add several packages on top of the van, accompanied by a few stray ornaments.
- Color the section of the van that is below the curved V in aqua.
- Color the bumper and headlights in silver.
- Color the blinkers in red.
- Color the section above the curved V in white.
- With the green, add a garland slightly covering the bumper.
- Add a wreath in the center of the van and draw little red dots for holly berries on the wreath.
- Color the windows of the van in silver and the tires black. (I rounded out the corners of the windows)
- Add small gold dots for ornaments across the garland.
- Color the top of the van white and add a silver curved line slightly above the windows.
- Color the red presents on top of the car.
- Color small window wipers on the windows in white.
- Color the other presents in white and add red polka dots and a red bow for decoration. On the red presents, add white stripes and white bows for decoration.
- Color in the ornaments with gold and add a small string of gold ornament garland going from one side of the van to the other.
- Add several sprigs of evergreen tucked in between the ornaments and the presents.
- Outline the entire rock in black.
- Spray with sealant to complete the rock.
I would love to see your version of this Christmas VW bus painted rock. Come share with me a picture of your finished rock on Instagram or Facebook! I love showing examples of my tutorials being made!
If you’re looking for more Christmas painted rock ideas, check out this post with over 25 Christmas rock painting ideas.