Watercolor with Markers and Resist Paper
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. See our full disclosure here.
If you want to create a little magic with your art, you need to try this watercolor with markers technique using watercolor resist paper. This is also a wonderful activity for children. I’ve done it in my son’s class for several different projects and it’s always a huge hit with the kids. See the Mother’s Day activity we did using the method of turning markers into watercolor art here.
Watercolor with Markers Supplies (affiliate links provided for convenience)
- Mr. Sketch Scented Markers
- Ziploc Bags
- Plastic Spray Bottle filled with water
- Brea Reese Watercolor Resist Paper Pad – I also used this watercolor resist pad. The great thing about these resist papers is that they already have beautiful designs on them that appear once the color is applied. Many of the pages also have foil incorporated designs.
Watch the video to see this watercolor technique in action and then see the step-by-step directions below:
Directions for Creating Watercolor Art Using Markers
- Use a gallon-sized Ziploc bag and choose your color palette from a set of Mr. Sketch Markers.
- Color directly on top of the Ziploc bag.
- Using a spray bottle filled with water and lightly mist the top of the Ziploc bag where you colored.
- Place your paper facedown on top of the Ziploc and run your hand along the back of the paper pressing it into the Ziploc bag. I used these watercolor resist papers which have images that appear once the color is applied to the paper. Some of the papers also have foil lettering and designs on them.
5. Gently peel the paper away from the Ziploc bag.
I absolutely love this magically art technique and it produces the prettiest watercolor backgrounds. If you want to create your own resist art designs you could use a white crayon on watercolor paper. You can also create your own designs with a Sharpie drawing like I did in this post.
For more colorful inspiration, head over to my Instagram page or Facebook page