I partnered with Arteza to bring you this fun and easy way to make a cute taco Christmas ornament (AD). The Christmas season is upon us, which means it’s time to start making Christmas ornaments! I don’t know about you, but I love a good DIY Christmas ornament. They’re so easy and fun to make, making them perfect activities for you or your kids to do! Even if you’re not a super crafty person, you can totally make taco Christmas ornaments!
Want more cute DIY ornament ideas? Check out these 15 ornament crafts.
DIY Taco Ornament
Tacos are one of my favorite go-to foods when I’m craving Mexican. Since I love them so much, I decided to make a cute kawaii taco ornament to put on my tree! These taco Christmas ornaments are made out of Arteza stiff felt, which makes them soft and durable! I think felt ornaments look wonderful on a Christmas tree and remind me of the felt ornaments I used to make as a kid!
Supplies for Making a Taco Christmas Ornament (affiliate links provided for convenience)
- Arteza Felt (I used gold, dark brown, green, yellow and red stiff felt. It’s perfect for constructing and has clean lines!)
- Arteza Fabric Paint – You can also by the colors separately
- Arteza Hot Glue Gun
- Mini Santa Hat (Optional, but so cute!)
How to Make a Taco Christmas Ornament
- Take the gold, dark brown, and green felt sheets and cut out one 4 inch circle from each sheet. The gold felt is going to be your tortilla shell, the brown felt is for your taco meat, and the green is for the lettuce.
- Grab your dark brown and green circles and cut them in half to make semi-circles.
- Take your dark brown felt semi-circle and on the curved edge, cut a squiggly border to make it look like taco meat.
- Take your green felt and do the same thing but make the edges a bit more sharp to make it look like “shredded” lettuce.
- Next, take your red felt and cut out mini half circles to make the tomatoes for the taco.
- Grab a sheet of yellow felt and make mini thin rectangles. These are going to be the shredded cheese for the ornament.
- Then, glue the twine (approximately a 6-inch long string) to the tortilla shell by placing one end an inch away from the edge of the circle. Repeat with the other end of the string until you have a loop to hang the ornament.
- Next, glue the meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese into the folded tortilla to make it look like a taco.
- Once your taco Christmas ornament is dry, take your black fabric paint and draw 2 eyes and a smiley face on your taco. Take the pink fabric paint and draw 2 circles on your taco’s “face” to make it look like rosy cheeks! Using the white fabric paint add 2 little dots to the eyes once the black is dry.
Tips for Making it Festive
Since it is the holiday season, I decided to get a little creative with this craft and add a few festive touches. I added a mini Santa hat (I cut off the bottom white section of the hat) that I had on hand but you can always make your own from the red felt. I also put cut some antlers from the brown felt and red nose to make a Rudolph taco Christmas ornament. You can even use your fabric paint to add little lights to your antlers for an added cheerful touch.
What If I Don’t Have or Can’t Find Fabric Paint?
If you don’t have or can’t find fabric paint, you can either leave the taco plain or get some acrylic paint! Acrylic paint is inexpensive and widely available, making it a great alternative to fabric paint!
The hard part of crafting the taco Christmas ornament is over! Now, you can either throw a few of these on your tree or give them away as gifts to loved ones, teachers, and friends! This way, everyone can appreciate the work your put into making this ornament and enjoy it for many years to come!
If you enjoyed this craft and want to see more like this, let me know! I’m always on the hunt for new DIY projects to do, especially during the holidays. If you try making this Taco Christmas Ornament, take pictures and share them and tag me on Instagram so I can see your lovely creations!