I love easy DIY ornaments and painting DIY Ombre Christmas ornaments is one of my favorite holiday crafts. If you like this ornament technique you can take it even a step further like I did with these Lisa Frank inspired ornaments. This is a fun and easy Christmas craft for all ages and it only requires three supplies.
DIY Ombre Christmas Ornaments Supplies (affiliate links provided for convenience)
- Clear Plastic Disc Ornaments – I used these ornaments from Michaels but found these similar ornaments on Amazon. You want to be sure to use disc shaped ornaments as they lay somewhat flat, making it easier for you to paint.
- Acrylic Paint – I used the Mont Marte acrylic paint set. They are great colors and a great price.
- Makeup Sponge Wedges
- Start by adding the paint colors you want to your ornament (you don’t want to add too much. You can always add more if needed). If you prefer you could also just add the paint directly to the makeup sponge.
- Using your first makeup sponge, lightly dab just the first two colors and go back and forth across the ornament.
- Get a new, clean sponge, and repeat the same process for the next two colors.
- You’ll repeat this same process two more times with a clean sponge, each time blending two colors.
- You can always go back and blend more if you need to or add more paint. The key is to use clean sponges for each colored section.
- You can keep your finished ornament as is or add a design on top with a paint pen.
- And if you would like to seal your finished ornament, I like this glossy spray sealant. I’d love to see your finished ombre ornaments. Come share with me a picture on Instagram or Facebook! I love showing examples of my tutorials being made!