As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. See our full disclosure here.
I’ve been a huge fan of Lisa Frank since way back in the 80s and 90s! I love the colorful and happy style of the Lisa Frank brand and decided that I needed something Lisa Frank inspired to hang on my Christmas tree. These Lisa Frank inspired ornaments are a fun way to add some color to your Christmas decor. And making a leopard print ornament is much easier than you might imagine. See the tutorial below and the full list of supplies so you can make your own.
Related: For another colorful ornament idea, check out this DIY hand painted ornament
Supplies for Lisa Frank Inspired Ornaments (affiliate links provided for convenience)
- Clear Plastic Disc Ornaments – I used these ornaments from Michaels but found these similar ornaments on Amazon. You want to be sure to use disc shaped ornaments as they lay somewhat flat, making it easier for you to paint.
- Acrylic Paint – I used the Mont Marte acrylic paint set. They are great colors and a great price.
- Makeup Sponge Wedges
- Black Paint Pen – I used this Posca black paint pen but here is another similar option.
- To create a heart stencil, fold a piece of paper (I used card stock) in half, draw half of a heart and then cut out the half you drew.
- Add a piece of tape to the back of your heart and place the heart in the center of your ornament.
- Next add the first two paint colors, yellow and orange, to a makeup sponge wedge. Try not to add too much paint. You can lightly dab some off if needed.
- Dab the sponge onto the ornament. You might need to add an additional layer or two.
- Grab a new sponge and add orange, pink and purple paint.
- This time you will start where the orange is already on your ornaments and dab the sponge as you cover the next part of the ornament.
- Grab another new sponge and add purple and blue paint. Again, start where the purple is already on your ornament and dab the sponge to add the colors.
- Finally repeat the same process adding blue and green to the final sponge.
- Once the paint is completely you can add the leopard details with a black paint pen.
- Finally remove your center heart and you’re finished! If any paint got inside the heart area you can remove it by scratching it off with a toothpick.
- I didn’t seal my finished design but you can if you like. If you want to seal your finished ornament, I’d recommend this glossy sealant option or this matte finish option.