As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. See our full disclosure here.
I’ve been a huge fan of Lisa Frank since way back in the 80s and 90s! I love the colorful and happy style of the Lisa Frank brand and decided that I needed something Lisa Frank inspired to hang on my Christmas tree. These Lisa Frank inspired ornaments are a fun way to add some color to your Christmas decor. And making a leopard print ornament is much easier than you might imagine. See the tutorial below and the full list of supplies so you can make your own.
Related: For another colorful ornament idea, check out this DIY hand painted ornament
Supplies for Lisa Frank Inspired Ornaments (affiliate links provided for convenience)
- Clear Plastic Disc Ornaments – I used these ornaments from Michaels but found these similar ornaments on Amazon. You want to be sure to use disc shaped ornaments as they lay somewhat flat, making it easier for you to paint.
- Acrylic Paint – I used the Mont Marte acrylic paint set. They are great colors and a great price.
- Makeup Sponge Wedges
- Black Paint Pen – I used this Posca black paint pen but here is another similar option.
How to Make These Lisa Frank Inspired Ornaments
Here’s the quick steps to make these Lisa Frank inspired ornaments. For more detailed instructions, scroll down to the full step by step directions with pictures. You can also watch the video to see how I did it and follow along!
- Create a heart with a folded piece of paper.
- Tape the cut out heart onto your ornament in the middle.
- Dab yellow and orange onto a makeup sponge and then tab them onto part of the ornament.
- Get a new sponge.
- Add orange, pink, and purple.
- Starting with where the orange ended, add the next row of paint colors.
- Repeat this with purple, blue, and green paints.
- Let it dry, then add details with a paint marker.
- Remove the heart and you’re done.
Written Step by Step Lisa Frank Ornament Painting Instructions
1. Create a Heart Stencil
To create a heart stencil, fold a piece of paper (I used card stock) in half, draw half of a heart and then cut out the half you drew.
2. Tape it to the Ornament
Add a piece of tape to the back of your heart and place the heart in the center of your ornament.
3. Add Yellow and Orange Paint
Next add the first two paint colors, yellow and orange, to a makeup sponge wedge. Try not to add too much paint. You can lightly dab some off if needed.
4. Dab Onto Ornament
Dab the sponge onto the ornament. You might need to add an additional layer or two.
5. Add Orange, Pink, and Purple
Grab a new sponge and add orange, pink and purple paint.
6. Continue Painting
This time you will start where the orange is already on your ornaments and dab the sponge as you cover the next part of the ornament.
7. Add Purple and Blue
Grab another new sponge and add purple and blue paint. Again, start where the purple is already on your ornament and dab the sponge to add the colors.
8. Paint Blue and Green
Finally repeat the same process adding blue and green to the final sponge.
9. Add Leopard Details
Once the paint is completely you can add the leopard details with a black paint pen.
10. Remove the Center Heart
Finally remove your center heart and you’re finished! If any paint got inside the heart area you can remove it by scratching it off with a toothpick.
Optional: Seal the Design
What to Do With This Lisa Frank Christmas Ornament
Now that you’ve painted an amazing Lisa Frank inspired Christmas ornament – what should you do with it? Well, the obvious answer is to hang it on the Christmas tree! You could even do a whole Lisa Frank inspired Christmas tree by repeating these steps with slightly different designs. Swap the heart for a star or another easy to make shape.
You can also give them away as gifts to all your friends who grew up in the 80s and 90s.