Puffy paint is one of those universal craft supplies that not only works on a variety craft surfaces but it’s an art supply that’s loved by both children and adults. I think you’ll find that these puffy paint DIY Christmas ornaments are quick, easy, and colorful. I actually got the idea after I made these puffy paint sugar skull rocks. It’s true…puffy paint works great on rocks too! But not all puffy paint is created equal. I definitely have my favorites listed below that will help you create smooth, clean lines and designs.
Supplies (affiliate links provided for your convenience):
- Puffy Paint – I used these neon dimensional puffy paints as well as the metallic red and gold from this puffy paint set. It would also be fun to try the glow in the dark version.
- Ceramic White Ornaments – similar here, here, and here.
- Toothpicks – You need these for the rainbow version.
- Sealant (optional) – This Rust-oleum Triple Thick Glaze will give your finished design a glass like appearance but it’s not required.
Here’s a quick video of the ornaments being made. You can also keep reading to get the full step-by-step directions.
Mandala DIY Christmas Ornaments Directions:
Mandalas aren’t difficult to make, the key is to keep your design symmetrical.
- Using the metallic, red and gold dimensional puffy paint as well as the green puffy paint, start with a dot and circle surrounding it in the center of your ornament.
- Next, outline the circle with small flower like bumps.
- Add a new flower petal shape to enhance your mandala design.
- Keep outlining and then adding a new design around the outline. It’s okay to repeat patterns.
- Add designs until you reach the outer edge or the ornament.
- Go back and add details to your designs with dots, lines, etc.
- Let dry completely. This is the hardest part. Puffy paint can take a bit of time to dry. If you want. You can spray an optional sealant once dry. I like this Rust-oleum Triple Thick Glaze. It gives a glass like appearance to your finished designs.
Rainbow DIY Christmas Ornaments Directions:
I love the abstract design of these rainbow Christmas ornaments and it’s very easy to achieve, you just need a few toothpicks on hand.
- Begin by adding a horizontal line of each neon puffy paint color to the ornament.
- Starting at the far side of the ornament, drag a toothpick from top to bottom perpendicular to your puffy paint lines. On the next drag, change directions and drag from bottom to top. Repeat this until you reach the other side of the ornament.
- Wipe your toothpick in between each drag or change toothpicks to help prevent the colors from mixing.
- Let dry completely. and leave as is or spray with an optional sealant.
Hope you’re feeling inspired to try your own DIY Christmas ornaments using puffy paint. For more fun crafts, make sure you’re following me on me on Instagram @Colormadehappy and Facebook. And be sure to come share what if you’ve created if you’ve been inspired by one of my posts. I’d love to see it.