It’s actually incredibly easy to turn watercolor pencils into a paint palette. This is a great idea for taking your art and sketchbooks on the go. It’s also a great way to great some fun watercolor coloring pages for the kiddos. See below for my recommended products as well as my favorite watercolor pencils.
- Watercolor Pencils – I used these Derwent Watercolor Pencils
- Watercolor paper – I love these small watercolor sketchbooks
- Watercolor brushes – These refillable water brushes are such a great option and easy to take on the go. plus you just add water to the brush so you don’t need a cup of water on hand.
- Drawing template
- Stencil – I used this sea turtle stencil. You can find more great stencil options here.
How to for Turn Watercolor Pencils into a Paint Palette
- Using a drawing template, color in a circle for each watercolor pencil you want to use.
- With your water brush, add a small amount of water to each colored circle to get the pigment on your brush. Have a paper towel on hand so you can clean your brush in between using each color. The reason that I prefer a water brush (not shown in the pic) over a regular watercolor brush, is because it’s the perfect brush to bring on the go so you don’t need a separate cup of water on hand.
- I liked using a stencil for this project but you can also just create a bunch of blank pages with a paint palette at the top.