I’m a big fan of abstract art projects. I did a series of fun abstract hearts that you can see here. This abstract star painting tutorial is easy to follow and can be done in 20 minutes or less. I’m all about art projects that can be done in one sitting without frustration or stress. I’ve found that art that is easy and fun keeps me wanting to create. I don’t want the art process to be stressful. Below you’ll find the exact supplies I used to create this colorful abstract star art project.
Related Abstract Art Posts: Abstract Heart Art Projects
This post contains affiliate links, and I may be compensated if you make a purchase through my link. See full disclosure here.
Abstract Star Painting Supplies
- Star Wood Cutout – I used the 8″ size
- Acrylic Paint – I used both neon acrylic paint (here is another neon option) and regular acrylic paint. You can use whichever colors you like.
- Paint Brushes
- White Paint Pen – I used this Molotow white paint marker 2mm which may be my favorite new paint marker. You can find it a little cheaper here.
- Other white paint pen option: Posca paint markers
- Gloss Sealant (optional)
Directions for Easy Star Abstract Art Project
- Start by putting a little bit of each paint color directly onto the wood star cutout.
- I used a flat paint brush to blend the colors. Find the center point of the wood star and work your way around spreading the paint from the center to the outer edge. NOTE: Wipe off your brush after blending several of the colors. I don’t clean it completely in water because I like dry bristles, but I do make sure I remove most of the prior paint colors using a towel.
- As you work your way around the star, you can mix in white paint with different colors to add further dimension and streaking.
- Let the background dry completely. Next add a few areas of black paint. Make sure they are large enough so you can doodle inside of them but not too large that it covers too much of the colored area.
- Once the black paint is completely dry, use your white paint pen (see supply list for all paint pen options) to add white doodle designs.
- You can leave your finished star as is or spray this sealant in your want to give it a glossy finish. For more colorful and crafty projects, make sure you’re following me on Instagram page, Facebook page. and Tiktok.