As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. See our full disclosure here.
I love creating Day of the Dead crafts. Last year I had fun making these Sugar Skull painted rocks. This year I wanted to come up with a new sugar skull craft that would be great for a Dia de los Muertos party. Not only are these painted sugar skull flower pots easy to make, but they look beautiful on display and would be a wonderful centerpiece, party gift or party craft for Day of the Dead.
Supplies Sugar Skull Craft Painted Flower Pots
(affiliate links provided for convenience)
- Mini Terra-Cotta Pots
- Acrylic Paint
- Paint Brushes
- Black paint marker – While you can’t buy the black separately, I love this entire set and use it often for other crafts on rocks, wood and mason jars.
- Sealant (optional)
Directions for Sugar Skull Craft Painted Flower Pots
- Start by painting your terra-cotta pots white with acrylic paint. The reason I like to make them white first is that the paint colors show up brighter. If you don’t want to paint them one by one, you can spray them instead with this white paint and primer spray.
- Next paint each pot a different acrylic paint color. You will need at least two coats of paint to cover the pots completely.
- Once the paint is dry, draw your sugar skull designs using a paint marker onto each flower pot.
- Not required, but if you want to add a sealant to your sugar skull pots, I like this glossy spray sealant. Lightly mist the pots with the sealant.
- I had fun planting mini succulents into my finished sugar skull pots.
What to do with your Sugar Skull Flower Pots
Now that your sugar skull pots are finished you can use them a variety of ways:
- Display them as a centerpiece on a table.
- Add them to a Day of the Dead shrine.
- Give them away as party favors if you have a Dia de los Muertos Party.
- Add them to shelves and tables for colorful decor.