I love decorating gingerbread houses at Christmas time so I thought it might be just as fun to create painted rock gingerbread houses as a fun Christmas rock painting craft. You could use this same concept and also turn your houses into painted rock fairy houses as another great option. Not only do these painted rock gingerbread houses make for fun decoration around the holidays, but they are great keepsakes to include with your gifts in place of a regular card.
Painted Rock Gingerbread Houses Supplies
- Rocks – Amazon has some great options for rocks if you are having trouble finding smooth rocks to paint on.
- Acrylic Paint – I used both of the brands below.
- Paint Markers
- I used this Posca ultra fine paint pen in white for the gingerbread house details and then used colors from this extra fine Posca Paint pen set for the details. You could also use this smaller Posca paint pen set for the colored details. I use these markers quite often on painted rocks as well as on my mason jar crafts and have even used them to decorate furniture.
- I also really like this paint marker set by Artistro as another option.
- Paint Brushes
- White Spray Primer + Paint (optional) – Often when I’m painting the entire rock, I use this paint+ primer spray first as it makes it easier to cover the rock with colored paint. Sometimes when you just apply paint directly to a rock, it can many coats of paint before you can get full coverage.
- Sealant (optional) – I like this glossy option and this matte sealant spray.
Watch the video and then see the instructions below:
Painted Rock Gingerbread Houses Directions
- You can apply acrylic paint directly to the rock however I prefer to first spray the rocks with this flat white paint and primer. It makes it MUCH easier to paint colors onto the rock when you start with a white base. It also makes the colors brighter and bolder.
- When selecting your base paint colors, have fun with the color sections! Don’t feel like you have to only use the typical gingerbread house colors.
- Using a white paint pen, add in the details of the gingerbread house.
- Using colored paint markers, add additional house details like wreaths, candy accents, hearts and more.
- Once your rocks are finished and completely dry, spray them with a protective sealant.
Give your finished gingerbread house painted rocks to friends and loved ones or leave them around town for someone to find. They are a great way to spread holiday cheer. And don’t forget to come share with me a picture of your painted rock gingerbread houses on Instagram or Facebook! I love showing examples of my tutorials being made!
Get My Rock Painting Book
Want more rock painting and decorating ideas? Order my latest book, The Rock Art Handbook on Amazon. It has over 30 different rock art tutorials featuring dot painting, marbling, embellishments, decoupaging and much more. In the book I go in-depth on different art supplies that you can use on rocks and provide a ton of tutorials to get your creativity flowing.