With Father’s Day coming up, I thought it would be fun to make a handmade Father’s Day Gift instead of just buying one this year. I always love the thought and effort behind handmade gifts and this is a great gift to give any dad for Father’s Day. You could even do this Father’s Day craft with kids too!
I love painting galaxies and this galaxy handmade Father’s Day gift is great for dad. But the best part is that once you know how to paint galaxies you can apply this same technique to all kinds of galaxy craft on rocks, shells, paper and more.
Supplies for Galaxy Handmade Father’s Day Gift (affiliate links provided for convenience)
- Craft Wood slice – You could use any size. I used a medium wood slice.
- Acrylic Paint – I used FolkArt Multi-Surface Acrylic Paint
- Paint Brushes – Typically I use inexpensive brushes for painting large areas and then nicer, small round brushes for painting details like the moon and stars.
- Round Foam Brush – It’s nice to have foam brushes of varying sizes.
- Black Paint Marker – I used the black marker from my Posca extra fine paint marker set. It’s one of my favorite paint marker sets and I use them constantly for all kinds of projects.
- Nail Dotting Tool (optional) – I love these tools for making perfect round circles. I use them for making shooting stars.
Watch the full tutorial video here and see the step-by-step directions below:
Directions for Galaxy Handmade Father’s Day Gift
- Cut out a heart shape and trace it onto the wood slice using a pencil.
- Paint in the entire heart using black acrylic paint.
- Using a round foam brush, start by adding a dark blue color, followed by a lighter blue underneath to the top left of the heart.
- Do the same with a blueish green color. Adding the dark first and a lighter version second. You can easily lighten up the color by just mixing in a bit of white with the paint.
- Next add dark purple to the far right as well as a fuscia color. Add lighter pink/white acrylic paint to the center of the fuscia colored area.
- Add stars by applying a small amount white acrylic paint to a tooth brush. Keep the bristles pointed away from you (you want them facing the wood slice), and run you finger up the bristles, gently flicking the paint onto the wood slice. It’s easier to control where the paint goes by getting closer to the wood slice and flicking slowly.
- Add additional details like a moon and larger stars using a small round paintbrush.
- To add shooting stars and other larger round stars, dip a nail dotting tool (see supply list) into white paint and gently press down on the wood slice without touching it all the way to the wood. You just want the paint to touch. More pressure for larger dots and less pressure to make the dots smaller.
- Using a paint marker, add a message to dad for Father’s Day!
Bet your dad will love this galaxy handmade Father’s Day art. Would love to see if you try out this project. Come share your finished galaxy art with me on my Instagram page or Facebook page. I love featuring projects that were inspired by my tutorials with my followers.
Check out these other fun galaxy projects for more inspirations: