As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. See our full disclosure here.
- Amazon has some great options such as these 3″-5″ smooth stones and these 2″-3″ smooth rocks.
- Crafts stores often have small bags of rocks, but do not purchase ones that have a waxy finish. The paint will not adhere.
- Home Depot and Lowes garden centers will often have smooth river rocks in the garden section.
- The best paint to use on rocks is acrylic paint
- Watercolor brushes are great for rock painting, even though you are using acrylic paint. This set of watercolor brushes has a variety of sizes perfect for painting details on your rocks.
- Another great option for decorating rocks, especially if you struggle with painting are paint pens and markers. Click here for a complete list of markers and pens for doodling on rocks along with tips and techniques. A few favorites that I often use are these Posca Paint pens with extra fine pen tips. and this set paint markers by Artistro.
- For a glossy glass like finish, I love this gloss spray sealant. If you prefer a more matte finish, my favorite sealant is this matte clear finish.
Are you ready to start painting rocks? Make sure you check out all of my other rocks posts for more ideas. Also I’d love to see what you’re creating. Come find my on Facebook or Instagram and share your beautiful creations.
Looking for more fun rock crafts and activities? You might also enjoy these other rock posts: