The Very Hungry Caterpillar Painted Rocks
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. See our full disclosure here.
- Amazon has some great options such as these 3″-5″ smooth stones and these 2″-3″ smooth rocks.
- Crafts stores often have small bags of rocks, but do not purchase ones that have a waxy finish. The paint will not adhere.
- Home Depot and Lowes garden centers will often have smooth river rocks in the garden section.
- The best paint to use on rocks is acrylic paint
- Watercolor brushes are great for rock painting, even though you are using acrylic paint. This set of watercolor brushes has a variety of sizes perfect for painting details on your rocks.
- Another great option for decorating rocks, especially if you struggle with painting are paint pens and markers. Click here for a complete list of markers and pens for doodling on rocks along with tips and techniques. A few favorites that I often use are these Posca Paint pens with extra fine pen tips. and this set paint markers by Artistro.
- For a glossy glass like finish, I love this gloss spray sealant. If you prefer a more matte finish, my favorite sealant is this matte clear finish.
Are you ready to start painting rocks? Make sure you check out all of my other rocks posts for more ideas. Also I’d love to see what you’re creating. Come find my on Facebook or Instagram and share your beautiful creations.
Looking for more fun rock crafts and activities? You might also enjoy these other rock posts:
–Creative Ways to decorate rocks
I absolutely love all of your painted rocks. I've pinned this and many other projects of yours. Now to like you on Facebook (if you have a page).
I pin all your rocks to a folder in Pinterest called "Amazing" for a reason… 🙂
Oh how I would love to have access to an endless supply of such pretty rocks!
Oh my gosh this is fabulous! Just beautiful. Luv Luv!
Beautiful and a wonderful story aid.
These are gorgeous! Just think how fun these would be to retell a story or create with. You've inspired me!
OH MY GOODNESS. You are so talented. Do you get sick of hearing that? I am amazed and impressed. These are GORGEOUS. I am totally in love with this project. You omitted the you need to be able to draw as one of your tips :). I would love to make these. Pinning!!!
that is so clever and so cool!!!!
G would LOVE this! we love this book. =)
the stylish housewife
This is adorable!! My girls love that book and my older is obsessed with rocks.
Found you via the Imagination Tree share.
well it looks like we will be adding this idea to our summer bucket list and heading to under the pier in Ventura… lots of rocks! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what you have done!
I can't tell you how much I love these rocks. Not only are they gorgeous, but they are such a unique prop for retelling this classic tale.
Would you believe that I HAVEN'T read this book yet? Bad parenting, haha. I also haven't read Goodnight Moon or I'll love you forever. HA! Great tips on painting rocks and LOVE the butterfly one. I can see mixing and matching being a fun activity. How do you store the rocks? Just in a bin, separated by activity?
I have been marveling over these rocks all week and finally remembered to come and read and comment before I went to bed…these are so, so, so cool! A brilliant idea and beautifully executed. You consistently amaze me with your creativity!
I think I might love this book even more than Jake, but he does like putting his finger in the little holes and counting the food and yelling out what the caterpillar ate. He's not a big fan of Goodnight Moon, but we just got a new book called Goodnight Train and that's much more his speed :-). I've been putting all of our rocks in these muslin bags http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/item/Muslin-Bags/3650_042/49683501.html that I decorate with stamps so I know where to find everything.
Love these! I'm not sure I'm good enough at painting to make some…. Do you have an Etsy site? I'd love to buy a set to use in OMazing Kids and my work as a SLP.
I love those! They're beautiful! I should get myself organized and try to make something similar for the garden. I can imagine how much my kids would enjoy them!
So creative and they came out beautifully! What a great extension to the book. Just pinned!
Love that you have all of those awesome rocks at your disposal! Another great craft!! We love The Very Hungry Caterpillar at my house!! Just posted on Craft Gossip!! Keep creating girl, you are good at it!
Oh WOW! These are fabulous! 🙂 I think these will be rainy day activity for tomorrow! 🙂 THanks for the inspriation! 🙂
Just painted a set of these! Nowhere near as amazing as yours but I'm so happy with them! Thanks sooo much for this fabulous idea!! You're very talented!
Yay! Not sure if you'll see this reply because my comment system wasn't set up on this post, but would love to see them! You should post them to my facebook page!
I should get myself organized and try to make something similar for the garden. Salomon Chaussures
Salomon Speedcross 3
Just came back from the north shore of Minnesota with my rocks ready to paint…so many great rocks there.
How fun! Happy painting!