Who says Halloween painted rocks have to be scary. I had lots of fun making these cute and easy halloween painted rocks. And instead of paint…I used only paint pens to create these adorable rock designs. Listed below are the exact paint pens I used to decorate these rocks, along with helpful hints and tricks for creating the best rock art designs.
Related: 20 Halloween Rock Painting Ideas
Halloween Painted Rock Supplies (affiliate links provided for convenience)
- Rocks – If you can’t find any outside or at your local garden center, check out Amazon here, there’s a huge selection to choose from.
- Paint Pens
- Sealant – Lately I’ve been using this sealant for a glossy finish.
Helpful Rock Painting Techniques
- The first thing I do is always sketch out my design on the rock using a pencil.
- Next I add the color using these paint pens. NOTE: to make your colors more vibrant, add 2 or more layers of colors but be sure to let each layer dry in between coats.
- Once I’m satisfied with the colors I outline my design with a in black to make the design pop. I’ll also add any additional details.
- For color mixing, like what I did for Frankenstein, I’ll add one paint pen color on top of another and then use a damp paint brush to blend the colors together.
For the rainbow mummy, I used these medium point pens. The larger tip makes it much easier to color in larger spaces depending on how large your rock is.
See how easy it is to create cute Halloween rocks! I’d love to see what you come up with. Come share with me a picture of your finished rocks on Instagram or Facebook! I love showing examples of my tutorials being made!