Halloween Painted Rocks Tutorial
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. See our full disclosure here.
Who says Halloween painted rocks have to be scary. I had lots of fun making these cute and easy halloween painted rocks. And instead of paint…I used only paint pens to create these adorable rock designs. Listed below are the exact paint pens I used to decorate these rocks, along with helpful hints and tricks for creating the best rock art designs.
Make These Cute Halloween Painted Rocks
Related: 20 Halloween Rock Painting Ideas
Halloween Painted Rock Supplies (affiliate links provided for convenience)
- Rocks – If you can’t find any outside or at your local garden center, check out Amazon here, there’s a huge selection to choose from.
- Paint Pens
- Tooli-Art Paint pens extra fine tip set of 30 (they also have a smaller set of18 pens).
- And if you want a thicker pen tip, you can get the medium point set which is great for kids and larger rocks!
- Sealant – Lately I’ve been using this sealant for a glossy finish.
Helpful Halloween Themed Rock Painting Techniques
- The first thing I do is always sketch out my design on the rock using a pencil.
- Next I add the color using these paint pens. NOTE: to make your colors more vibrant, add 2 or more layers of colors but be sure to let each layer dry in between coats.
- Once I’m satisfied with the colors I outline my design with a in black to make the design pop. I’ll also add any additional details.
- For color mixing, like what I did for Frankenstein, I’ll add one paint pen color on top of another and then use a damp paint brush to blend the colors together.
How to Paint Frankenstein’s Monster
Rainbow Mummy Rock Painting
For the rainbow mummy, I used these medium point pens. The larger tip makes it much easier to color in larger spaces depending on how large your rock is.
Bat and Halloween Hat Painted Rock Ideas
I used two shades of purple paint markers to create these adorable Halloween themed characters! They turned out great on odd shaped rocks.
Halloween Pumpkin Pail Painted Rock Idea
This pail design is super easy to recreate even if you’re not much of an artist. First draw the pumpkin shape and fill it in. Once it dries, add the face and handle in black. Then just dab with different colors of paint markers to make the candy.
Candy Corn and Ghost Painted Rock Designs for Halloween
Last but not least on our spooky Halloween painted rock line up are the ghost and candy corn! The ghost is another easy design that looks so polished with just a bit of outlining. I went with non-traditional candy corn colors for fun.
See how easy it is to create cute Halloween rocks! I’d love to see what you come up with. Come share with me a picture of your finished rocks on Instagram or Facebook! I love showing examples of my tutorials being made!