As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. See our full disclosure here.
I love easy abstract art projects that are not complicated and can be completed in 20 minutes or less. This abstract painted heart project fits that exact criteria and is a great craft for kids or adults! See below for the supply list and completed directions on how to make this unique piece of art.
Easy Abstract Art Project Tutorial
You can totally customize this project to fit almost any theme or style just by changing up the colors. I think it would also be a fun craft idea for tweens and teens to get creative – especially at parties or community programs geared to that age.
RELATED: Rainbow Abstract Heart Projects
Supplies for Easy Abstract Art
- Wooden Heart – I love these wooden hearts and I stock up on them as I use them often for projects.
- Acrylic Paint –
- Paint Brushes
- Dimensional Paint – I used the the gold glitter color.
How to Make Easy Abstract Art – Step by Step
- Start by adding several shades of acrylic paint in blues and greenish-blue tones as well as white to the wooden heart.
- Use a flat paint brush to blend the colors and wait several minutes to dry.
- Add some partial, overlapping heart shaped lines in different colors. It’s okay if the colors mix together slightly as this helps add to the coloration and texture. Once it’s to your liking, let it dry before you add the details.
- Add details in white with a paint brush. Lines, dots and x’s work well.
- Add additional details using the gold glitter dimensional paint. This will give your final piece even more texture and depth.
Tips to Make Your Art Even Better
- Use a good quality paint brush for the detail work if you want to make more intricate designs
- Experiment with different color combinations and designs
- Don’t mix the colors up too much or they’ll turn brown
- Let the paint dry before adding the fine details if you don’t want it to blend