You may be wondering…what exactly is a “box of happy”. A box of happy is a gift that combines the perfect mix of handmade and happiness along with special keepsakes that will keep someone smiling. Whether you’re a child or an adult, you can put your own special touch on this DIY painted box of happy. This would make a great Valentine’s Day gift or a special gift to lift someone’s spirits when they need it most.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided to me by Michaels but they did not ask me to make a post. This post is fully my own opinion and experience with the product. This post also contains affiliate links, and I may be compensated if you make a purchase through my link. See full disclosure here.
Supplies for Painted Keepsake Box
- Trinket Box or similar
- Paint Brushes
- Letter Beads
- Pink Poms
- Mini Wooden Accessories
How to make a DIY Painted Box of Happy
- Start by painting your trinket box with a colorful design. See below for how I created my rainbow sunshine design. I suggest first drawing the design lightly in pencil to make the painting even easier. I loved how vibrant these paints showed up on the box.
- NOTE: For the face details and white dots use a very small sized paint brush.
- Let your painted design dry completely and then glue on letter beads to create a phrase. I used the phrase “Box of Happy”.
- For the inside on the box I painted a rainbow gradient by just moving from one color to the next and slightly overlapping.
- To create an inside cushion I added pink poms. Because of the tight fit I did not need to glue in the poms but you can if you’d like.
- For the inside contents of the DIY painted box I used the same paint as I did on the outside and painted mini wooden objects: wood disc, peg doll, candle cup and wood spool.
You can always add more to your keepsake box like special notes or littles wishes. The idea is to have fun and be creative. When you make a handmade gift for someone there’s no right or wrong way to do it.
Make sure you are following along with me on Instagram, Facebook and TikTok to see more colorful and crafty projects. And be sure to come share your finished craft. I love sharing pictures of my tutorials that have been made.