Whenever I see cute pen and pencil pouches at a store, I can’t help myself, I always want to buy them. I’ve actually collected quite a few canvas pencil pouches over the years to use as carryalls for my art supplies. When I’m traveling I always seem to have at least one pen and pencil pouch as well as another for other art supplies like travel watercolors and mini sketchbooks. You can see some of my favorite art supplies here and my sketchbook doodles here.
I thought instead of buying more pouches, it would be fun to make my own. Making your own DIY zipper pouch is a great project for all ages and it also makes for a great back to school project or teacher appreciation gift. I think you’ll find that once you start making them, it’s hard to stop.
SUPPLIES (affiliate links are provided for your convenience):
- Canvas pouches – I purchased this set of 3 pouches that come in 3 different sizes. You can also find similar canvas pouches here and here.
- Acrylic Ink – Acrylic ink is much thinner than acrylic paint. It also dries quickly, is permanent and water resistant on most surfaces. You can even use acrylic ink to create watercolor like effects by diluting them with water. I love this set of neon acrylics inks that I used for this project.
- Paint palette (optional) – I have a huge stash of these because I use them all the time.
- White acrylic paint (optional)
- Stencil (optional) – similar here
PEN AND PENCIL POUCHES DIRECTIONS:
SPLATTER CARRYALL POUCH DIRECTIONS
- Start by cutting out a heart shape. I used card stock. I just let the heart sit on the bag, but you could add a few pieces of tape behind it to make it more secure.
- Dip a toothbrush in the pink acrylic ink, or apply it to the tooth brush using the bottle dropper, and start flicking the paint onto the left side of the bag. To flick, run your finger from the middle of the brush up, as you keep the brush facing the bag.
- Take the same toothbrush and now drag the brush over some of the splatters.
- You can even add more texture by using the dropper that comes with the acrylic ink and dropping a few dots onto the pouch and then dragging the ink with the toothbrush.
- Repeat the same directions for each color.
- Once your splatters are done, outline the heart using the acrylic ink with a paint brush.
- Once everything is dry, remove the card stock heart and your zipper bag is complete!
DOLPHIN STENCIL CANVAS POUCH DIRECTIONS
- Tape the stencil to the the canvas pouch.
- Add the acrylic ink to a paint palette.
- Using a paintbrush, paint inside the stencil.
- Let dry completely and remove the stencil.
- Add more details using a paintbrush and the acrylic ink. I did the waves freehand.
- Use white acrylic paint and a small paintbrush to add even more details like dots and lines.
GEOMETRIC PEN AND PENCIL POUCH DIRECTIONS
- Add acrylic ink to a paint palette.
- Using a paintbrush, paint small squares in rainbow order. You can mix different variations of the colors to make a larger variety.
- Let dry completely.
Are you ready to go make your own pen and pencil pouches? You can even add some fun little zipper pulls to personalize them even more. I’d love to see what you create. Be sure to come show me on Instagram by tagging @colormadehappy or share your awesome creations on my Facebook page.